So, after quite a bit of faffing around with configuration files, drivers and kernels I finally managed to get the EUMETCast Multicast client working under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

All seems to be working well at the moment but I’m sure something will arise with time.

Eventually, I’ll have to work out what I did to get it all working and write a little guide to help others.

Last year, I was speaking to Francis Bell about the setup on which we run our system on, as not only were we running it all on one machine, but running it along side 7 other guest operating systems on high end consumer hardware. I’ll be writing an article on this subject, including our hardware specs and some benchmark tests.